Monday, February 8, 2010

Everyday is like Sunday.

Photobucket


Yesterday I went to a Zine and Craft fair, well two craft fairs actually. The first was at the flying squirrel community center (great name), and was loaded with all sorts of really cool stuff. It seemed to be staffed and populated by a bunch squatter punk hippie types. A little grimy, but charming none the less. I wish I had a little more time to check everything out, but the crafts had everything from sewn misfit crimson ghost pillows to spray painted patches with the anarchy symbol and resistance fist, and some really fun pasties on a table next to multi colored hippopotamus candles. Gotta love counter culture!

There was also a ton of killer zines covering everything from activism, to gender issues, to loving your body and informed consent. Ruth made a great one about autism awareness, and im thanked in the intro...I picked up several colorful issues including one called "Militant Queer Insurrection" I haven't read any of them yet, but buying them brought back so many memorys of being young and chain smoking and making and reading zines while listening to Bikini Kill, L7, Consolidated and a whole slew of other polictical bands. For a minute on got drunk on early 90's nostalgia. It reminded me of my days of being young and ornery and fiercely individualistic.

Im glad I managed to hang onto most of that as the years have passed....


Photobucket


Afterwards Jeff and I went to meet some friends and have a glass of Yerba Mate at a local coffee shop that was having their own craft sale. This was a little more fancy. Lots of knit items, some jewelry and bowls made out of warped 12" records. Imagine about 20 Etsy vendors and you will get the idea. I picked up some really nice hand made cards for valentines day which unfortunately didn't photograph well. They are really nice none the less. I ran into so many friends, collected so many smiles and hugs. I was reminded how much love I have for the bohemian community I am blessed to be a part of.

It was a perfect day.

1 comment:

  1. It was good to re-up on Support, one I have given away like 3x to people before finishing it.

    Did note the distinct hip-mama vibe at H+C, but handmade is handmade. It was interesting to get two ends of the DIY spectrum in a short span.

    Just learned that etsy has an open bidding system for commissions (alchemy), which is fucking awesome and more sites should do it (e.g. ladyada).

    ReplyDelete